Today I went to the Mandir and took the Shakahara Vrata or vow to eat vegetarian foods only. To many people who know me this might not seem like a big deal, I have been a vegetarian for many years, not eating any meat, fowl, or fish. However it has been something I have had to consider very carefully. The reason why is eggs. Up until today I ate eggs, as themselves occasionally but much more frequently as an ingredient in prepared food and baking. I don’t find it difficult to avoid eggs., but that is one of the reasons I have had to think about the vow so much. The vow will actually be harder for my wife than for me. She enjoys re-creating vegetarian versions of her mother’s recipes, and has found that one of the best meat substitutes to use for this is Quorn, which contains eggs. She also uses eggs in baking, and has found egg replacements don’t rise as well. As she is a Texan, her corn bread is very important to her. Of course I will be happy to just eat what she prepares that doesn’t include egg, but I know that she will often change her recipes and menus or even cook more than one dish. She is very considerate and would not leave me without what she would consider a proper meal. I have had comments on an egg-free diet, which I will discuss here.
Search this blog
- This is just a random selection from all the links. The list will change daily.
devz on Anna is now Shiva Setep-en Het… devz on Devas in the V&A E Pooja Store on Devas in the V&A God Of All on Some Famous Western Hindu… chakra on How to chant a mantra 108 time… surya on Can a Westerner convert to… Kristin on How to chant a mantra 108 time…
- 355,280 hits since blog began
- We Want People To Deserve Their Fate December 18, 2014 Ambaa
- Why Didn’t I Marry a Hindu? December 17, 2014 Ambaa
- Arms of bliss December 16, 2014 jnana shiva
- Scripture Study: Bhagavad Gita verses 24-31 December 16, 2014 Ambaa
- How To Prevent Conversions Away From Hinduism December 15, 2014 Ambaa
- The Work Ahead of Us December 14, 2014 Art
- Book Club: Eat, Pray, Love: 28-31 December 14, 2014 Ambaa
- View Posts by Western Hindus in a full page
I blog without obligation
Top 40 Hindu Blogs