Today I went to the Mandir and took the Shakahara Vrata or vow to eat vegetarian foods only. To many people who know me this might not seem like a big deal, I have been a vegetarian for many years, not eating any meat, fowl, or fish. However it has been something I have had to consider very carefully. The reason why is eggs. Up until today I ate eggs, as themselves occasionally but much more frequently as an ingredient in prepared food and baking. I don’t find it difficult to avoid eggs., but that is one of the reasons I have had to think about the vow so much. The vow will actually be harder for my wife than for me. She enjoys re-creating vegetarian versions of her mother’s recipes, and has found that one of the best meat substitutes to use for this is Quorn, which contains eggs. She also uses eggs in baking, and has found egg replacements don’t rise as well. As she is a Texan, her corn bread is very important to her. Of course I will be happy to just eat what she prepares that doesn’t include egg, but I know that she will often change her recipes and menus or even cook more than one dish. She is very considerate and would not leave me without what she would consider a proper meal. I have had comments on an egg-free diet, which I will discuss here.
Search this blog
- This is just a random selection from all the links. The list will change daily.
- 281,878 hits since blog began
- Emotional Maturity December 7, 2013 treadmarkz
- Band On The Run: A Repost For The 40th Annivesary! December 7, 2013 Barefoot Justine
- The story of another Western Hindu December 6, 2013 Jura Nanuk
- An Important Announcement! December 6, 2013 myownashram
- 30 Days, day 25: Indra “unhelpful.” December 6, 2013 Arjunī
- Best of The White Hindu 2013 December 6, 2013 Ambaa
- The Mandala of Mandela December 6, 2013 Dhrishti
- View Posts by Western Hindus in a full page
I blog without obligation
Top 40 Hindu Blogs